Offline License Activation
Licenses can be activated and deactivated without the client device having access to the internet. Additionally, device variables, and consumptions will be synced with the cloud platform at the moment of deactivating licenses offline. Offline activation supports both key-based and user-based licenses.
Subscription licenses cannot be managed using the offline portal (obviously), but time-limited licenses can be refreshed.
The SDKs can be configured to run offline license checks. Please see their documentation for more information.
In order to implement offline licensing in your application, please follow these steps:
- Issue a license for the end user. The end user will enter the license in the application (either a key, or user credentials, and the SDK needs to be set to activate offline. For more information on how to activate offline, please check the extended options in your respective SDK.
- The SDK generates a request file, which needs to be uploaded atoffline.licensespring.com. This portal will then generate a license file, which needs to be given back to the end user.
- The end user enters the license file into the app, which will unlock the application complete the binding of the license to their machine.
Regardless of how a license has been activated, you can retrieve the license file from the vendor platform. This means that entitlements for a license can be modified and the license file will be updated. You can then retrieve the license file and send it to the customer:
- Go to vendor platform and find the license
- On the devices tab find the device where the offline license is located
- Click on the download license refresh file
- Save the license_refresh.lic and send it to the user.
- The end user enters the file into the app, which will refresh local license file with new entitlements and changes
The end user can then uncouple the computer from the license, which generates a new file (a deactivation file). If they then upload this file to the portal above, the license will be released and can be used on another machine.
In order to update the values of total consumptions and total features consumption, you have to run the procedure of deactivating the license offline. The Vendor can always send a license refresh file to the user with new entitlements periodically.
If you are working with a license that is of type consumption, or with consumption features, then the deactivation file will contain the cached consumptions which will be added to the usage information on the license on our server.
Contact us if you would like to white label the offline portal on your own subdomain.