Issuing New Licenses
There are a few ways you can issue licenses:
- Manually through the Vendor platform
- Through the Management API
- With one of our integrations
Before issuing a license, it might help to know how our data model is organized:
- A License can belong to an order. You can have 0 to many licenses for an order
- An Order can belong to a customer. You can have 0-to-many orders for a customer
- A Customer can belong to an account. You can have 0-to-many customers for an account.
A License will belong to an order. If you do not specify an orderID, a random orderID will be generated
Orders do not need to belong to customers. However, it can be useful to have this association for analytics, or for customer support, for example.
We are assuming you have already created a product within your vendor account.
To issue a new license for your product, click on the "Licenses" tab on the left, and then click on "create new order on the right of the screen:
The next screen allows you to add order identifiers and customer information, if you want to, but it's optional. Click Next:
The next screen allows you to configure the licenses you wish to issue. Click "Add Product", and a configuration screen allows you to configure the entitlements that you will be adding to the license
Select the product you want to issue licenses for, and then configure the licenses you wish to issue. You can select a license policy if you have created any when configuring the product. Otherwise, select "use custom values" and it will allow you to fully customize the license entitlements that will go on it.
You can specify many different options such as:
- The license type: Perpetual, Time-limited, Subscription, or Consumption-based
- Which features should be added to a license
- How many devices can node lock to a license with the "max activations" field
- unique values for the license custom fields
When you are done configuring the license entitlements, click "Confirm".
Review your license configuration on the "Confirm Order" screen, and press "Create order" when you are done. The Order detail page will appear on the next screen where you can retrieve your new licenses.